Thursday, February 15, 2007

Week not going as planned and about triathalons!


This week is not going as planned. I've been sick with another cold and just so tired and run down. You would think I wouldn't feed a cold but I have, I mean not a lot but some wrong choices. And only exercised today for the week as no energy at all but I guess that's to be expected.


Is anyone out there thinking of doing a first triathalon or a first run/race? I made a plan last year to do the Danskin women's tri in August (if I can get registered in time, it sells out fast when they open it to register.) What I would have to do is a 1/2 mile swim, a 12 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run. I've wrote about this before and I'm trying to focus on what I will need to do to train for this race. So far, I've tried to get my endurance up to working out (cardio) for an hour or hour and 1/2 and started jogging last fall. I have been very sporadic in my jogging and have never gotten about 1.5 miles jogging though I usually will go a couple more miles on top of that with walking and then add on the elliptical. So I feel I have the endurance but need the right training. I'm not sure exactly what that should be and I'm gonna do some more research and reading on the subject. Of course, what I need to do is bike more and swim more that's for sure. What have you all done out in blog land to prepare for a first event?? I'm a little scared about the whole thing or maybe nervous but I'm excited at the same time.


I'm starting right now on making this a better rest of the week. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot after Monday wt loss. Hope everyone is having a good week!

5 comments:

Flo said...

Find a training plan. That's the first thing I did when I decided to do my first tri. There are lots of good, free one available out there. Go to trinewbies.com or beginnertriathlete.com. Both of those sites have lots of resources for beginners. For my first sprint I was just so concerned with getting through it that I swam, biked and ran 3x a week and made sure I covered the distances required. You can do this!!! It's amazing to complete your first tri and I can't wait to hear about it.

TitanThirteen said...

Good on you for setting fitness goals!
From other blogs i've read where people have done their first triathalon, it's really liberating!
I hope you do it :o)

Living to Feel Good said...

I'm doing my first 8K next Sunday. It's not as big of a deal as a tri, but it's my first race ever. I've been doing the Couch to 5K program which I downloaded on my ipod, and it has gotten me in shape to run ...5 miles. WooHooo.

You might find that being registered is motivation for you. Once I was registered for my 8K I made an effort each week to get my 3 days of running in. I wanted to be able to run the whole 8K , and I was afraid if I skipped a day of training I wouldn't be able to do it.
Today I did my first try out run to see if I could do the whole thing, and I did it in 1 hour 23 secs. It was pretty exciting.

So I say go for it! It's a great goal to work towards!

Sandii said...

hey great loss... no way am i thinking of running a triathlong or anything else... ;-)

since being in the USA i've managed a couple of small walks, mind you it's been below zero and icy as hell. this equals danger!

hope you're feeling better!

loving the US!
x

Unknown said...

I was going to recommend the couch to 5k progrma and ofr swimming there is a program called zero to a mile i six weeks. I lost the link but you can google it and if you don't find it, tell me because I printed it.
I used that one but my pool was smaller so I ended up doing zero to 0.6 miles in six weeks but I felt really good. And the first week I could barely swim 15 feet so it really works.