Friday, September 29, 2006

ladies night out

Went for my monthly ladies night out with a bunch of my old high school friends from years ago. We had started this group about a year a 1/2 ago or so. It is just 4 of us but we are starting to invite more that we are coming into contact with again. One lady that we haven't seen in a couple of years came last night to meet us in Seattle. We went on a 3 plus mile around greenlake and boy, those ladies are getting fast! We did dinner afterward and got to talking to my old friend about her lap band procedure she had a few years ago. We talked further and I knew she had been on television about it and she said it was Inside Edition and that it was actually about reconstructive surgeries she had about 2 yrs ago. Guess she did that procedure where after you lose a lot of wt (she lost over 100lb.) that they give you various procedures all at once. Think since it was relatively new idea, that's why the news was interested. She told me she had boob life, chin implant, tummy tuck or lipo, butt lift, thigh lift, and upper arm skin taken off. I can't imagine the recoup time. She said she was in so much pain she asked God to just take her now. I don't know, I am pretty open to people getting plastic surgery if they want but this seemed like total overkill to me. I think I would personally think of tummy tuck or boob reduction if my body isn't what I want it to be when the wt comes off. I mean if there is just a mass of skin still there though you are thin, would you do something about it? Of course, the cost and the fear of it, might deter me but I'd be open to it. But, I wouldn't do lap band or gastric bypass surgery. I mean, I saw her eat like 4 bites of soup and that's all she could have! I know that eating less and more often would of course make you thin but I wouldn't want to live like that. I guess there is an option to ease off the lap band and you can eat more if you feel like you would like to do that. Funny thing though, I was talking about emotional eating and how I used to eat due to stress not hunger and she said she gained her wt just due to loving food. Well, my issue is more that just loving food it's using it when I'm stressed, mad, sad, happy, you name it. And she said she dreams of eating chocolate and can't stop thinking about it. I don't know what to say to that. I think, we can change the stomach but we can't always change the mind or it's longings. What do you all think of these kind of surgeries out there in blog land?? Have a great week. I'm doing well on the exercise and eating plan and except to see some loss come Monday. Just need to get through the weekend and concentrate on healthy eating.

1 comment:

*Christie* said...

A couple of years ago I was thinking pretty seriously about lap band. But my good friend said "don't you want to be thin because you want to be normal" to which I answered yes, and he said "eating a few bites of food each time and having to eat every two hours will not make you normal." And it was true. SO I decided I wanted the option of being normal and the only way to do that is to get there all on my own.

As for plastic surgeries, if by some chance I have to deal with extra skin - which I'm hoping not, if I lose at the right pace - I would definitely have that taken care of. Largely because I've NEVER been thin and I want to know what it feels like in all it's glory, not with gross extra skin hanging around. But it stops there for me. I wouldn't have anything else done.