Friday, January 05, 2007

Working it

Went to the gym 3 days in a row and very happy about being back on track with working out. (Love the endorphin high!) I did some punishing workouts, I mean longer for me at 1hr 45 minutes for 2 days and 1hr 30 today. Doing mostly jogging, elliptical and other cardio but started doing weight lifting again yesterday. I felt I needed to up the intensity and really get going on trying to get my fitness to a higher level. I talked about it before but my goal is to do the danskin mini triathalon in August so I want to step it up this year. I think I need a training schedule and will come up with one soon so I can incorporate jogging, swimming and biking. Now I just have to figure out how to keep the motivation going, some days you gotta dig deep as I like to call it!

Funny thing is that because I was tired today, thoughts of food kept on popping into my head. Especially comfort type foods like mac n cheese, pizza, potatoes and couldn't relate it physical hunger just emotional? Or because I was tired? Once I started doing my weight lifting then I focused on that and forgot about the food. Once in a while I find myself fighting this battle with thoughts of food, food that isn't so good for me. Usually I win this food battle and it goes away. Funny how it always comes around when I don't sleep well. Anyone else notice this pattern in themselves? Here's an article about 'killing your food cravings and taming the beast within' http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?cmi=2078473&cid=33. I think a lot of us already employ these tactics. I wish it was easier at times and we just want to eat healthy all the time but temptations are everywhere and they aren't going away. I didn't get to my size by hating food that's for sure!!

In other news, nothing too exciting happening in my life right now. We want to go up the mountain and try some snowshoeing or go sledding and we will one of these weekends. How's everyone doing out there on their working out and wt loss this week? Not sure if I will see a loss next week as I'm making up for lost time.

8 comments:

Moby Dick said...

Working out will help your attitude and it will also help you lose weight! Most of the time when I eat something really bad is when I am tired or need sleep. Try to take some healthy snack with you so that you can eat something when you get tired. A protein bar or protein shake would be good. Many gyms sell those!

Living to Feel Good said...

Great job with the workouts!! I love that feeling!! I was telling a friend at work today how I've been to the gym everyday but yesterday, and how on Wednesday as I was walking out to my car I thought "DAMN I LOVE THE GYM!" and I smiled and left. Awesome feeling.

Have a great weekend.

Terri said...

I have emostional munchys. I hate it that I do. That is so weird I wish I could understand why the body works like that. I may have to write about this. I guess I found my new subject.

I can understand why the body would go in hunger or craving mode when you get sleepy or tired. I think your body is signaling to send food down for energy.

I am so glad that I am back to my workouts.

You look like you have a great plan

Flo said...

Craving comfort food when you're tired is pretty normal. The good news is that more you resist eating them the easier it is to resist them. Does that make sense?? I've found that just not eating them keeps me from even wanting them. It's that way with a lot of things. I've gotten so used to eating whole foods that the thought of anythings heavily processed is not attractive. So keep it up, it will get better.

*Christie* said...

Way to GO Patty!!!!! You are kicking major booty with the workouts!!!
i'm really proud of you.
I hit it hard on thursday and friday because I knew I wouldn't be working out on the weekend, and I plan to go Mon, Tues, Wed also before my Thursday weigh in.

I do tend to think of bad foods when I'm tired, also!!!!! i think it's because when you have less energy, making a healthy choice and making that food seems like too much work. It's like... pass the pizza please. LOL.

love you!!! -50 is SO CLOSE!!

Briony said...

Wow, those workouts sound hard, i'm still thinking about exercising and not doing anything and that's getting me nowhere. But at least my eating is good.
I know what you mean about the battle with food, why do they put so many food advertisements on the TV after dinner at night? My food cravings are always worse when i'm tired though, it lowers our resolve I think.
Have a great week.
Bri

TrixieBelden said...

Congrats on working out 3 days in a row. I think your intensity is great and that you have a goal in the triathalon. There was a girl at my WW meeting tonight that does triathalons and I was so impressed. You are going to have an amazing time!

Anonymous said...

Hi There:
I found your site by accident, and find it really interesting that you
have many of the same dieting problems as many of my coaching clients.

Have you ever been tested for Candida Albicans? If you have too much Candida in your system you experience cravings for carbohydrates (they feed the yeast) and especially chocolate and sweet things. We all have Candida in our systems. It just gets out of balance in winter, or for hormonal reasons like childberth.

Try getting a cleanse kit from your local health store. Or you can try a complete food modification diet with cleanse. I can tell you a good one if you are interested (no I don't sell it)You can check it out on line. It's not the cheapest, but the quality of the product is far superior to drug store or herbal shops one's. It kick starts your body into losing. Most people safely lose about 8lbs in a couple of weeks - which is encouraging. No stimulents or drugs involved. However you have to modify your diet permanently to keep it off. Cleansing once every 10 days also keeps weight down. I have tried it and it works.

Another option is a far infrared sauna. I have heard you can burn up to 900 calories an hour and gradually detox your system at the same time. Might be worth looking at.

Ditch anything in the house that might tempt you - even choc chips for baking. Keep a big bowl of cut up veggies for snacking on in the fridge, and let the kids eat them too with low cal dips.

Work outs are great too. If you don't have much time try Curves.
Working out everyday is not so good as your body needs time to rest and regenerate between. You only need to go three times a week alternating days.

Best of luck - I know you can do it.
ladycoach