Tuesday, October 03, 2006

How do you handle compliments?

Seems lately I have been getting a few compliments on how much thinner I'm looking. Two of my mom's friends and one of mine have made comments and while I do appreciate it I wonder if she has been talking a lot about my weight loss progress and they feel they need to comment. Here's some I've received: "your looking good", "your wasting away" (ha ha don't think 209 is wasting away, maybe for a tall man!), and "keep going" "I notice your wt loss, especially in your face and neck". I don't know about you but sometimes people will rub me the wrong way, of course, I don't let on but sometimes I think they are going overboard or they are telling me not to quit and go back to the larger chub that I was. I don't know why I'm thinking of this, maybe I'm too sensitive about body wt right now! I guess they want to give me encouragement or acknowledge my progress but I feel that I have a long way to go and wish they'd comment when I was further along in this journey. Being nitpicky today I guess! I never am good at taking compliments in general or at least in person. I always seem to say something like "I have a long way to go" or some self effacing comment. I need to have more patience with myself and others and quit thinking "I want this wt off now!" Well, in other news, we had a good day today and I took my son to the zoo in Seattle for a while as we were passing through there and he enjoyed himself. I'll try to post a cute picture of him later, got to do an assignment now for school. Hope everyone is having a good week!!

4 comments:

sandii said...

i think sometimes we over analyse what others are saying to us. especially if we are accustomed to being guarded about our weight etc.

just try to leave yourself open to compliments and say "thanks, yep working hard!"

i love the Zoo. any Zoo.
:-)

*Christie* said...

I have totally been there in the past and I was going to tell you exactly what Sandii said - I learned to say "thank you, I'm working hard at it"

A good friend of mine back home, the last time I did this, every single time she saw me would say i looked thinner than the last time. When we would see each other every few days I was thinking... geez, I can't possibly look thinner in a few days. So is she just saying this to humor me? And do I really not look thinner at ALL? So it kinda had the opposite effect. So believe me, I know how you feel!

Anonymous said...

I think most people have a hard time accepting compliments as it is. Then, when it's about our weigh..which we happen to be ultra-sensitive about..well that makes it all the harder. Try a simple thank you :) That's what I'm going to try as well.

... said...

i totally HATE compliments i never feel like i deserve them. i say 'thanks' and smile, but in my head im listing all the reasons why they shouldn't compliment me. :LoL: stupid brain!