Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Weight lifting and making time for myself

Not sure what I'm doing up in the middle of the night. Woke up and can't sleep so decided to surf around and check out others web sites. Lot's of good inspiration and lots of people having a hard time too. It sucks when I hear someone else beating themselves up due to addiction to food. Makes me sad. Anyway, wanted to talk about another topic, weight lifting. I've gotten into it lately and do about 2 times a week but want to increase that but I seem to gravitate toward cardio if I have extra time. I can really start to see a difference in my arms. Getting some muscle under the fat! Someday it will show. I've decided to up the weights. Quit doing the light wts and high repetitions. I saw a few fit ladies working out and they were using heavy wts for arms like 25 and 35 dumbells and I was like, "hey, they are looking great, why can't I work my way up". And so I shall. The other topic is making time for myself. One way I make time for myself is working out. I used to be too busy meeting my husband needs, my child's needs, my family and friends needs that I quit meeting my own needs. I can find an hour a day on most days to make a committment to health and get in some exercise. Some weeks are busier than others but now I look at it like an appointment I can't cancel. I'm making my health a priority and this will in turn help me out and make me a better wife, mother, daughter, friend. No more putting myself last. I actually have been doing this for 5 1/2 months and am changing my ways! Let me know how you are all doing out there and how you make time for yourself!!

5 comments:

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Stick to your guns about putting yourself first.. because without you.. who is going to run the show...Love the idea about the weights....
I need to do something other thnan walking and bike riding...
will have to see what i can work out..

Melli said...

Yep! That's what ya have to do. It IS a commitment and should be treated just like any other IMPORTANT appointment! I started my journey the beginning of March this year -- 7 1/2 months ago -- I've lost 53 pounds and I started out pedaling for 10-15 minutes a day. I worked my way up to an hour a day, and then I joined Curves. I'm now up to 4 times around the track at Curves at least 4 times a week (usually 5 and sometimes 6) PLUS my hour of pedaling, and now I'm into a pilate/yoga class too! I also have a gazelle, and a Walking Off The Pounds DVD that I use to mix it up occassionally! Once you reach that point of determination, there really is nothing that can stop you! Glad you found it! How wonderful for you - and for your family!

595 Days said...

I appreciate your stopping by my blog and making comments. I apologize for not responding to your first one...if I don't respond right away I tend to forget.

Anyway, good for you for starting the running - it is hard and I thought I was going to die the first time I did 1/4 mile! I had a hard time believing that I could ever run 3 miles, never mind 3 miles in 9 weeks. But I did. I think the key is getting out there even when you don't want to, if you keep it up there's no way to fail. Just be careful, you don't want to injure your knees or ankles.

About my first 5k - I still find it odd how that just threw me for a loop emotionally. And you're right placement doesn't matter. I finished, and it was my first 5k. I'm still shying away from competition. I will do another 5k but probably not until the spring.

Go for the Danskin! You have plenty of time to get ready. Imagine where you'll be in August!

Happy jogging!

*Christie* said...

thats great patty!

WeightWatchnWoman said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. Please feel free to come back any time.

I totally understand taking time for yourself. That is very meaningful now days. I too get consumed with family & friends and tend to forget about myself.

I just started weight lifting. I hope I can soon see results.